During a young person’s stay at New Story, he or she will be able to take advantage of new opportunities and experiences. The New Story Parks Campus in Columbus, Ohio offers recreational and vocational activities that help each youth to develop prosocial, interpersonal, and independent living skills. Youth are also encouraged to participate in community activities and volunteer opportunities.
While in the care of New Story, teens and young adults will be evaluated for underlying mental health or trauma issues and will be referred for treatment services as needed. An individual may have an array of treatment needs and areas to be addressed such as a history of psychiatric diagnosis, past trauma, poor relationship skills, past abandonment issues, legal problems, academic and vocational difficulties.
At New Story, we guide the comprehensive recovery of the teens and young adults in our care with the use of proven treatment interventions such as:
- educational and vocational support
- independent living skills development
- behavior modification through the use of natural consequences and a motivational management system that is strength based and outcomes driven
- family involvement
- use of psychotropic medications when indicated
- cognitive behavioral therapy
- spiritual development.
The two acre New Story Parks Campus in Columbus, Ohio, offers housing, recreation, and vocational opportunities for teens and young adults.
The campus is comprised of 10 houses. Each house has up to four residents with each youth having his or her own room. Each house has a laundry facility and engages in family style dining. To ensure the youth are provided with a safe, structured, and supervised environment we maintain a staff to resident ratio of 1 to 3 or 2 to 4.
On campus, our recreation facility has many areas for positive peer interaction, recreation, vocational and educational support. Youth at New Story enjoy the following amenities:
- 12-seat movie theater complete with a with a 60-inch flat screen and surround sound
- Foosball table
- Arts and crafts room
- Computer lab with three computer stations
- Basketball court
- Yard games (e.g., Volleyball, Bean Bag Toss)
- Beauty shop with professional head washing sink and chair where residents can receive a service or explore a vocational opportunity
- Campus store where residents can purchase items with points earned each week through a motivational management system